Specializing in heavy civil infrastructure construction, mining applications and energy development, H.J. O'Connell Ltd. is a leading supplier to Canada's resource industries. Having been in business for over 80 years, and offices located throughout Canada, O’Connell offers a stable and challenging work environment. As an equal opportunity employer we accept applications from all qualified persons. We offer a competitive salary, a comprehensive benefits package and an excellent rotation schedule.
Close Date: 2014-07-18
Specializing in heavy civil infrastructure construction, mining applications and energy development, H.J. O'Connell Ltd., and LECQ are leading suppliers to Canada's resource industries.
For over 80 years O’Connell has been safely providing quality heavy civil services to Canada’s resource based industries. Gaining a reputation of being both a contractor and employer of choice, we provide a challenging, stable, positive and rewarding work environment.
The company prides itself on having a highly technical and sophisticated workforce with a reputation for safely completing projects on time, on budget and with excellent quality results.
The Field Engineer provides engineering support and planning to ensure that the field related project activities are performed in accordance with the contract drawings, specifications, quality standards and are performed on time, budget and in accordance to safety and quality regulations.
The following is a list of responsibilities associated with the role:
• Supportive of HJO business objectives including Health, Safety and Environment and Quality Assurance Programs.
• Work with Superintendents to plan and coordinate work activities.
• Calculate take offs, review specifications and material needs as required.
• Review Project schedules and assist in the updating of ongoing activities.
• Review Project drawings and specifications to determine layouts of structures or systems and material requirements.
• Work with other Engineering Project staff to determine project details, aid with resource allocation, planning of the work, acceptance testing and evaluation of field conditions.
• Inspect Project sites for safety and quality issues to ensure conformance to design specifications and applicable codes.
• Track daily costs, compile daily, weekly and monthly quantities for work completed.
• Responsible for the management, scheduling and planning of subcontractors.
• Prepare Request for Information, site queries and submit to client.
• Coordinate, schedule and inspect delivery of all materials required for Project construction to satisfy schedule requirements.
• Prepare reports that document Project activities and production reporting.
• Coordinate, track and assist in change management control, and update drawings as changes are made and issued.
• Other initiatives and tasks as required.
To Be Determined (Newfoundland and Labrador)
• Strong Safety values.
• Experience working in a heavy civil construction environment.
• Post secondary education in Engineering/Engineering Technology.
• Thorough understanding of construction drawings and specifications.
• Strong organization and planning skills.
• Ability to deal with ambiguity.
• Teamwork (this position must work effectively with several functional groups including Health and Safety, and Quality).
• Strong people, interpersonal, and communication skills.
• Results driven.
• Strong computer skills.
• Able to develop and motivate others.
• Collaborative leadership style.
• Hands on, highly involved.
• Customer focused, relationship builder.
• Bilingual (French/English) would be an asset.